• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pass_West

Captain
92 Badges
Jul 2, 2009
  • Rome Gold
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
The Challenge of Freedom: an Irish V2 AAR

ireland-killarney.jpg

London, June, 1836. His Honour, Judge Aaron Smith, one of the most respected and influential of his profession in Britain, stared into a listless glass of brandy. How could it possibly be that he had missed it? A tiny, obscure loophole that seemed to exist only for plot purposes, discovered by a group of twinkled-eyed lawyers from that benighted isle of peasants and humble servant of His Majesty William IV - Ireland - had resulted in the de facto independence of the Emerald Isle.

Still. He could comfort himself with the knowledge that the Irish - unfit for self-rule by the will of God - would not govern themselves for long before crying out for the firm hand and benevolent mastery of their old guide. Yes, in time, Ireland would return to the Imperial fold, and all would be well again. Perhaps even Smith's horrendous error would be forgiven, his example again deemed fit for inspiration.

Dublin. At the same time as Judge Smith contemplated his own and Britain's future, the new Irish Prime Minister, James Aloysius MacCarthy, sat at the desk in his hastily furbished office and let out a sigh of exhaustion. The debates had lasted through the night and many unkind words had been exchanged - in Irish as well as English - but eventually he had prevailed on his impassioned would-be revolutionary friends that he was the man to lead the now free and Gaelic nation. A small private army raised on the rough streets of Dublin had helped in this process.

Yes indeed. Lady Hibernia would not only be free; MacCarthy would ensure that, in time, she would be exalted among the nations, and become a beacon to the unfortunate of the world, whom she would liberate from the poverty and oppression she herself had known by sending friendly colonists and advisory troops to raise the natives to similar greatness.

******************************************************************************************************

Hello fellow Paradoxians. Behold my first ever AAR, started with no little trepidation. A little bit of personal backstory: though only a relatively recent member of the forum, I have been playing Paradox titles and reading AARs since 2002 with my random purchase of EU2 (the box looked nice in the shop). After that I became addicted to Victoria 1 in 2004... and eventually to EU3 after the expansions were released. I've been known to dip into HOI2 and Rome as well. But Vicky has always been my true love and I want to pay tribute to her - and hopefully develop some story-telling stripes - by starting an AAR in Victoria 2. I chose Ireland for its challenge, for being neither too easy nor too hard for a beginner with ambitions. I will start making updates when I get the game on Friday. Stay tuned and be nice ;)

Last edited:
Hurray! I always love a good Ireland AAR :D Show those British some true Irish might, and liberate our brothers in Scotland, Wales and Cornwall!

Last edited:
Any action going against the rabid jackals in red coats is heartedly welcomed! :p

Wish you the best of luck for an hopefully glorious depiction of irish might!

Both of you seem keen on the idea of Ireland taking on the boys in red! While ambitious, I think I'll leave that for later in the game ;) All I need to develop in the meantime is industry, a colonial empire and a massive army. No problem...

Both of you seem keen on the idea of Ireland taking on the boys in red! While ambitious, I think I'll leave that for later in the game ;) All I need to develop in the meantime is industry, a colonial empire and a massive army. No problem...

Well after 700 years of oppression of the Irish they deserve to be taught a lesson! The English lion shall roar as never before, but this time it won't be a battle cry! :D

Heh, you don't need to kick them in the groin right away, you know. ;)

There are many other ways to piss them off.
Start by being free, it'll be good to see their faces when learning the news.
Then steal their colonies like they've stolen most of them in the first place.
The colonies you won't grab, you restore them to independance.

In short, alter their plans for global world domination in any way, it's even more enjoyable because you're their "poor little weak neighbour". :cool:

Sorry guys but due to RL work pressures I will have to put this one off for a few days. Which might give me a little time to get some practice in before I tackle Ireland properly. As I said - stay tuned.

@Greg: sounds like a plan :)

Sorry about the delay. RL ain't no fun. I was playing out a test game of Ireland which I started the day I got V2, and was going to start Ireland again for this AAR, but I decided to stick with my test game as it was going quite well. Unfortunately as a result I don't have any screenshots in this post and thus the next couple of posts will be a narrative recap of events up until the late 1850s.

Chapter One: From Backwater Isle to Secondary Power (1836-1849)

duffy.jpg

The first Irish Prime Minster, James MacCarthy the Liberator

For the new Irish prime minister James MacCarthy, Ireland the free and Gaelic nation did not turn out to be as free as he had hoped. The same law which had allowed for Ireland's semi-independence stipulated that the island be a dominion of the UK, and that its government be monarchical in nature, rather than a full democracy. This did not please MacCarthy and it did not please the Irish people. But this hurdle could not be overcome straight away, as Ireland in the late 1830s was struggling merely to survive. Therefore, the PM grudgingly accepted British oversight until it could safely be thrown off and maneuvred to have an obscure nobleman by the name of Patrick Smith-Murphy - a man of mixed English and Irish parentage - crowned as the figurehead monarch, King Patrick I.

Nor was Ireland entirely "Gaelic". Some 15% of the national population were Unionist in their loyalty and Protestant in their faith, and in time this would lead to complications, although at first the Unionists were surprisingly docile.

The early 1840s saw a turn-around for Ireland. The budget stabilised with a healthy though small surplus; this in turn allowed the PM to lower taxes, especially on the rich, who were encouraged to become capitalists. Soon, instead of tens, there were hundreds of Irish capitalists ready to invest in new-fangled ideas like railroads and factories. Irish diplomacy was still tightly bound to Britain and PM MacCarthy grew resentful; when would he be able to form alliances with friendly nations like France and the US to act as "big brothers" against the sinister might of the new Queen in London? Even as he pondered this, he was organising an ingenious and complex coup that would allow him to rule as Prime Minister regardless of which party won the election. In effect, James MacCarthy would be head of government for as long as drew breath...

childlabor.jpg

The darker side of industrialising Ireland: child labourers

By the mid 1840s it looked like Ireland was able to stand relatively tall among the nations. An anonymous but hard-working statistician of the time consistently put Ireland at around 20th in world ranking: her industry was growing slowly but surely, some of her many peasants had been called upon to "volunteer" for the army, her research into humanistic areas of art was yielding much prestige, she was avoiding the Jacobin revolts that for some reason were tearing other nations apart, and the epidemics of disease and hunger which periodically hit the island were shrugged off by a people who were becoming confident of their future.

There was one slight problem. By 1846, Ireland was still a dominion of her unloved former masters. The people were not happy about this, and PM-For-Life MacCarthy was keenly aware of their concerns. On the streets of Belfast, Cork and Dublin the Irish Catholic majority were crying out for freedom, often accompanied by cries of "death to the traitor!". Although not directly named the PM could guess to whom they were referring. The same lawyers who had discovered the oddly convenient loophole in British law were hauled out of comfortable retirement to get to work on full independence. In time they yielded a strategy so fiendishly brilliant* that this historian is loath to go into any detail but will merely direct you to the Encyclopaedia Hibernica and will continue with the narrative.

ire_harp.gif

The "republican" flag of Ireland, minus the crown, waved by more radical nationalists who wanted to break all links with London, royal and diplomatic

Ireland was finally, truly, completely free, though still a constitutional monarchy. Celebrations were held throughout the island (though were rather muted in the northern province) and with that kind of political capital the PM could go on ruling for at least another decade, which was handy since his old enemies in the liberal Whig Party were now in power and showing no sign of abandoning it any time soon.

By 1849, Ireland was reaping the prosperity sown in years of hard work. She was free to conduct her own diplomacy and build friendships in Paris and Washington DC. A fresh batch of troops saw her army grow to 72 divisons. Two factories, one in the far south (Cork) and the other in the far north (Belfast) were swelling her coffers as the State encouraged poor farmers to become craftsmen and clerks. Her status was confirmed when the anonymous statistician declared her a Secondary Power of the world - just in time for the American Civil War....

*i.e. I figured out how to modify a savegame

Last edited:
Ulster's on the Emerald Isle, and is by righteous justice necessary to a real grand Irish entity!
Ireland to the irish! :D

(Yes, go fascist, it'll be fun!)

The real pity is how scots and welsh doesn't exist (no more than bretons and other forgotten cultures/countries).
I "love" how corsica is considered part of provence and inhabited by casual french dudes. Even nowadays, go tell the corsicans they're french, you'll see how they like it!

Anyhow, good luck to the irish people in their incoming conquest of the british isles -and then the world, and then beyond?-, I think they'll need it.

Also, can you liberate the Philippines as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.